Desert Wolf

From 1994-1998 while living in the Utah desert and Rockies of Colorado, I became fully entranced by the wolf and started a wolf /wolf-hybrid rescue effort in the Denver/Boulder region. I went to many places and met many wolves - some mixed, some pure. Never once did I ever feel they were a threat to me, even in the middle of a enclosure with 20 wolves. I went to them in peace and they gave me their friendship. I also started my craft business Desert Wolf Creations during this same time period - inspired by the wolf and the desert yet again.

In 1997 I made the trek up to visit Mission Wolf, high in the Sangre de Christo mountains of south central Colorado. On a hundred acres lived 50+ wolves - refugees from bad homes, movies, wherever wolves may have found themselves unwanted (which is everywhere it seem). There were other wolf freaks like myself at Mission Wolf too - cabins and teepees for long term volunteers, a visitor center. At sunset all the wolves would howl together and fill the hills with their ancient primal call. What a place.

To get to Mission Wolf, you must go Interstate 25 to Colorado, turn west on Highway 69 at Walsenburg. When you get to the little hippie outpost Gardner go a mile and look for CR 634, better known as Gardner Road. Turn Right and drive 13.5 miles till the Blue Spring driveway turnoff on your right - you will need 4WD in winter!

MISSION WOLF

Popular posts from this blog

Indigo Blue Star Rainbow Crystal

Great Gathering